How to get started with Inside Sales

How to get started with Inside Sales

Postby LoveGolf » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:01 pm

I have my own startup and am thinking about hiring my first Inside sales rep. I am not sure what type of person to hire, what their compensation should look like, what objectives to set, etc -- any advice?
LoveGolf

Re: How to get started with Inside Sales

Postby InsideSpin » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:31 pm

Some key things to focus on:
  1. Hire someone with aspirations to become a large account sales rep. This will drive a higher level of professionalism and intensity to make sure your first objectives are met. They will want to show they can earn their way into the position
  2. Make sure they have a good SE to work with. You can likely maintain a ratio of 1 SE to 3 or 4 good inside sales people. The SE will make sure the rep remains productive in terms of how accounts are engaged.
  3. Your model may include indirect selling (e.g. partners), so make sure the rep understands the different between working with partners and working with end customers
  4. Establish a play book for a model day. The rep, especially ones with just a few years experience, should have a set of goals for each work day (e.g. number of calls, number of outbound emails, etc) so that the lead pipeline not only fills but also matures.
  5. Establish some incentives related to the play book and also other sales milestones properly aligned with operational objectives for the year.
  6. Make sure the rep can demo the product -- even if they would not normally do so. It will help test their credibility when talking with customers, especially later on in the cycle. No one wants to buy from a rep who needs to bring in an SE for every question.

I hope this helps get you started.
InsideSpin

Return to Channels (Indirect Sales)